Almost no backports in amd64? or: How to use backports in amd64

Gerhard Gaußling ggrubbish at web.de
Fri May 6 14:51:02 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm wondering how to use the backports for Hoary amd64.
I got these lines in my sources list. The 2 lines are loading the
packages.gz from the server without any error.
# grep backport /etc/apt/sources.list
# Backports http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/
deb http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/backports hoary-backports main
universe multiverse restricted
deb http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/backports hoary-extras main
universe multiverse restricted

But I can't find any packages from the backports repository by using
apt-cache. Is there another way to get those information?

For example I read, that firefox 1.0.3 is in the backport repos, but I
can't find it:

 $ apt-cache policy mozilla-firefox
mozilla-firefox:
  Installiert:1.0.2-0ubuntu5
  Mögliche Pakete:1.0.2-0ubuntu5
  Versions-Tabelle:
 *** 1.0.2-0ubuntu5 0
        700 cdrom://Ubuntu 5.04 _Hoary Hedgehog_ - Release amd64
(20050407) hoary/main Packages
        700 http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/main Packages
        650 http://archive.ubuntu.com breezy/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Is the backport repository maybe empty for the amd64 arch?

Kind regards

Gerhard Gaußling