ATAPI DVD-Drive is slow, but can't set dma: HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted

Gerhard Gaußling ggrubbish at web.de
Sun May 8 00:47:51 UTC 2005

Am Freitag 06 Mai 2005 17:38 schrieb Adam Membrey:
> amd74xx
> Put that at the top of your /etc/modules file.

Hello Adam,
I did put that at the top of my /etc/modules file.
The problem now is, that I *cannot* go back to ide-cd :-) #@*+! ??? I
don't understand that at all. I got *no* hdc=ide-scsi in grub/menu.lst,
I commented ide-scsi *out* of /etc/modules . I *did* update-modules
then. And finally I got no scd0 in /etc/fstab. Yes, I comented the line
for detecting scsi cdrom in /etc/udev/udev.rules *out*, but no success.
With every reboot I got the scd0 and scsi emulation for my cdrom.

With rmmod I make it to get /dev/hdc back again (but it didn't persist).
The hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc turned dma on, but with no difference in speed.
That's frustrating.

But I have also good news: totem-xine can play dvd movies without
flickering and lost frames. Also I recognised, that xine isn't able to
play divx properly, but gmplayer/mplayer/kplayer is.

How can I get back to ide-cd? I want to use ide-cd, because my
multisession dvd access problem is also solved with the new kernel
ide-cd, and it is easier to manipulate that drive with blktool or
hdparm if it's driven by ide-cd.

Regards

Gerhard