[ubuntu] Error changing owner

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri May 6 12:33:19 UTC 2005

lluishc quoted his /etc/fstab:

Alexandre FRANKE wrote:
> I personnaly mount my fat32 partition this way in fstab:
> /dev/hda1       /mnt/windows    vfat    umask=000       0       0
> It works very well and as you can see, there's only a umask, no auto,
> no user, no rw...
> I found this somewhere in an Ubuntu forum. Guess it's enough, but
> honestly don't know what the rest is for. Might be useful?

auto: default anyway -- mount this filesystem at boot time.
user: allow users to mount the filesystem (not particularly useful if
      it's already mounted...)
rw:   mount rewritable. Again, the default.

I'd point people to
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/AutomaticallyMountMSWindowsPartitions
and mention that my equivalent is
dmask=2,fmask=113,gid=1001
That means everyone can read, members of group 1001 (which you'll have
to create) can write, directories work properly, but files on the
filesystem aren't marked as executable.

Among other reasons, this helps if you're using colour ls (ls --color :
you can use a shell alias for this), since your files look like normal
files, not executables.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "My aunt's camel has fallen in the mirage."
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |     -- "Soul Music", Terry Pratchett.