[ubuntu] Error changing owner

Albin Blaschka albin.blaschka at sbg.ac.at
Wed May 4 14:12:24 UTC 2005

lluishc schrieb:

> in fact, my fstab looks like this:
> /dev/hda5       /dades          vfat    defaults        0       0
> so maybe "defaults" does not include write rights?

Yes, I think so, at least with FAT32 - my theory is like this (I have
not got an authorative answer if I am right, but I think it's not that
far fetched): FAT32  does not know about Ownership, so LINUX assumes
root as owner (maybe for security reasons) - you are not root, so you
can't write to the file...
I would suggest the following line in your fstab:
/dev/hda5       /dades       vfat    rw,user,noauto,umask=0000  0    0

HTH,Albin