[ubuntu] Error changing owner [off topic]

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Wed May 4 23:20:10 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 16:12 +0200, Albin Blaschka wrote:
> lluishc schrieb:
>
> > in fact, my fstab looks like this:
> > /dev/hda5       /dades          vfat    defaults        0       0
> > so maybe "defaults" does not include write rights?
>
> Yes, I think so, at least with FAT32...
Wrong.  "defaults" *does* include write rights when possible (even with
FAT32).

> ...- my theory is like this (I have not got an authorative answer if I
> am right, but I think it's not that far fetched): FAT32  does not know
> about Ownership,...
Correct.  Only one user (and one group) can own all the files on a FAT32
device!

> ...so LINUX assumes root as owner (maybe for security reasons)...
Not quite!  "defaults" means a lot of things, one of them is to mount
the device at *boot time* (because you didn't pass the "noauto" option).
Since "root" is the one doing that at that time, and you didn't pass the
"uid=" option, the device become owned by "root".

> ...- you are not root, so you can't write to the file...
> I would suggest the following line in your fstab:
> /dev/hda5  /dades  vfat  rw,user,noauto,umask=0000  0  0
Good.  See "mount" man page and look for "uid=" for more info on how to
change the owner of a FAT32 device.