transcode and upgrading to libc6 from breezy was: mplayer

Gerhard Gaußling ggrubbish at web.de
Thu May 5 16:47:59 UTC 2005

Am Thursday 05 May 2005 12:20 schrieb Yannick Le Saint (kyncani):
> [...] My personnal choice is an
> apt-pinning setup with ubuntu's repositories (hoary + breezy), debian
> testing and marillat .. and even that would not automagically pull
> transcode in :(
>   Better remove marillat's repositories if one lets them have the
> same priority than ubuntu hoary methinks.

Hello,

I want also to install transcode on Hoary amd64. For that I added
several sources in apt/sources.list for breezy and the marillat
repositories. I added these lines in  /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release a=hoary
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release a=breezy
Pin-Priority: 650

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 600

When I try to install transcode I got some dependency errors regarding
libavcodeccvs, which is in the marillat repo, but it self  depends on
packages which are in breezy. One of the package is libc6.

Now my question:
Is there someone who had already upgraded his libc6 to breezy in a apt
pinning environement, like described above?
Which kinds of problems have to be expected?
Does it work flawlessy? I remember this step in a woody/sarge mix system
as somewhat problematic. But I think that was the big translation from
gcc-2.9x compiled libs to 3.x compiled libs...

The versions in breezy seems to fit to the requirements of transcode and
libavcodeccvs.
transcode depends on libavcodeccvs (>= 2:20050110-0.0), which is in
unstable, but it is not going to be installed (because it self depends
on libs, that are not in hoary)

libavcodeccvs (>= 2:20050110-0.0) depens on:
libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-21)
libfaac0 (>= 1.24-0.3)
libpostproc0 (>= 2:20050427-0.0)
libvorbis0a (>= 1.1.0)
libvorbisenc2 (>= 1.1.0)

In breezy we can find:
libc6 2.3.5-0ubuntu3 0
libvorbis0a  1.1.0-1 0
libvorbisenc2 1.1.0-1 0

In unstable we can find:
libfaac0 1.24-0.3 0
libpostproc0 2:20050427-0.0 0

So everything seems to be there.
Should I try to install all these prerequisite first and upgrade to
libc6 which is BTW also needed by bookmarkbridge, or is this not
possible and/or to dangerous?

Help is highly appreciate.

Kind regards

Gerhard Gaußling

-------

Here you can find the detailed output of the commands I used:

$ LANG=en sudo apt-get -u  install -t unstable  transcode
[...]
  transcode: Depends: libavcodeccvs (>= 2:20050110-0.0) but it is not
going to be installed
E: Broken packages

$ LANG=en sudo apt-get -u  install -t unstable  libavcodeccvs
[...]
  libavcodeccvs: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-21) but
2.3.2.ds1-20ubuntu13 is to be installed
                 Depends: libfaac0 (>= 1.24-0.3) but 1.24-0.0 is to be
installed                 Depends: libpostproc0 (>= 2:20050427-0.0) but
1:1.0-pre1.1 is to be installed
                 Depends: libvorbis0a (>= 1.1.0) but 1.0.1-1 is to be
installed
                 Depends: libvorbisenc2 (>= 1.1.0) but 1.0.1-1 is to be
installed
E: Broken packages
$ LANG=en sudo apt-get -u  install -t breezy libc6
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
  libc6-dev linux-kernel-headers locales
Suggested packages:
  glibc-doc
  libc6 libc6-dev linux-kernel-headers locales
4 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 425 not upgraded.
Need to get 10.7MB of archives.
After unpacking 8663kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

$ LANG=en sudo apt-cache policy  libc6
libc6:
  Installed: 2.3.2.ds1-20ubuntu13
  Candidate: 2.3.2.ds1-20ubuntu13
  Version table:
     2.3.5-0ubuntu3 0
        650 http://archive.ubuntu.com breezy/main Packages
 *** 2.3.2.ds1-20ubuntu13 0
        700 cdrom://Ubuntu 5.04 _Hoary Hedgehog_ - Release amd64
(20050407) hoary/main Packages
        700 http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

$ LANG=en sudo apt-cache policy    libavcodeccvs libavcodeccvs:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2:20050427-0.0
  Version table:
     2:20050427-0.0 0
        500 http://cyberspace.ucla.edu unstable/main Packages

$ LANG=en sudo apt-cache policy   libfaac0 libpostproc0 libvorbis0a
libvorbisenc2
libfaac0:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.24-0.0
  Version table:
     1.24-0.3 0
        500 http://cyberspace.ucla.edu unstable/main Packages
     1.24-0.0 0
        700 http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/multiverse Packages
        650 http://archive.ubuntu.com breezy/multiverse Packages
libpostproc0:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:1.0-pre1.1
  Version table:
     2:20050427-0.0 0
        500 http://cyberspace.ucla.edu unstable/main Packages
     1:1.0-pre1.1 0
        700 http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/multiverse Packages
        650 http://archive.ubuntu.com breezy/multiverse Packages
libvorbis0a:
  Installed: 1.0.1-1
  Candidate: 1.0.1-1
  Version table:
     1.1.0-1 0
        650 http://archive.ubuntu.com breezy/main Packages
 *** 1.0.1-1 0
        700 cdrom://Ubuntu 5.04 _Hoary Hedgehog_ - Release amd64
(20050407) hoary/main Packages
        700 http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
libvorbisenc2: