Hoary doesn't detect network card (Thinkpad T20)

Bryan Murdock bmurdock at gmail.com
Wed May 4 16:44:51 UTC 2005

On 5/4/05, Nathan Jones <nathanj at optimo.com.au> wrote:
> Thanks Bryan and Jonathan for your suggestions. I am still lacking an
> Ethernet interface, though...
>
> Bryan Murdock wrote:
> >http://www.mail-archive.com/uug-list@uug.byu.edu/msg15878.html
> >had to pass to the kernel at bootup:
> >acpi=off apm=on
>
> I tried this from the grub boot menu and in /boot/grub/menu.lst. I
> presume it is supposed to be appended to the kernal line. No luck. Aren't
> acpi and apm power management terms?

Yes, those are the two different forms of power management.  From what
I can gather acpi does not work with the Thinkpad T20.  Appending
those options to the kernel line fixed my network card issues.  While
I do have a different brand of network card in my T20 than you do, I
suggest you make sure you've done this correctly.  I just found these
instructions:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9953&postcount=3

> Perhaps I should try a clean install to make sure nothing from my Warty
> setup is causing a problem. (But then, the LiveCD didn't detect the
> network card either.)

I tried a clean install, the Hoary installation CD couldn't detect my
network card either.  I really think you have the same power
management issue that I had.

Just as a warning, once I did get my network card working, I tried
putting the laptop to sleep (FN-F3, or F4, I can't remember, I don't
have it in front of me).  It worked fine, but ever since then the hard
drive constantly churns so I can get nothing done.

Near the end of this thread is a report of disk corruption that I
believe is similar to what I experienced:

I'm thinking Hoary Hedgehog and Thinkpad T20s just don't mix well.
I've had much better luck with other distros on this machine (even
Warty Warthog was much better).  I don't know, maybe I just got
unlucky, or I needed to more carefully follow the above instructions
for switching to apm myself.  Let me know how it goes for you.

Bryan