Install CD : RAID0 ??

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Tue May 3 17:03:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 10:10:31PM +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> > It all seems to go fine and I am so excited.. but then at
> > the end, when it tries to install GRUB, it fails ! But it gives no
> > details whatsoever, so I have no clue what it's unhappy about.
> >
> > What am I doing wring ? Can the install CD really create a RAID0 Ubuntu
> > set-up from scratch, or does it require some prior manual prep work ?
> > Can it run on a RAID0 only set-up, or does it need a "normal" /boot
> > partition at the start of the disk, or anything ?
>
> To answer my own questions, and following some more fiddling, it seems
> that creating a tiny 100MB partition at the start of the the first disk,
> mount it as 'boot' and turn the 'bootable' flag, then only create a
> RAID0 device to host all the rest, works fine...
>
> RAID0 made super easy... thank you so much M. Ubuntu ! :o)

For reference, the reason it doesn't work the first way is that there is
no way to get GRUB to boot from a software raid 0 (striping) set at all,
since it would need to reassemble the data from bits stored on each
drive and GRUB just isn't smart enough. It can be made to boot from a
raid 1 (mirroring) set since in that case each drive has a complete copy
of the data and grub can then boot off either one independently. You
approach sidesteps the problem, which is a perfectly sensible way of
doing things; raid 0's advantages don't really apply to booting.

To be honest, the fact that the installer let you try to set up boot
from raid 0 seems to me to be an installer bug; I wouldn't be too
surprised as I also had it set up an unbootable system (not yet
bugzillad but it will be once I've nailed down some details).

Ewan