Firefox blocks my firefox in hoary ubuntu

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Tue May 3 16:00:30 UTC 2005

James Wilkinson schrieb:
> Christoph Bier wrote:
>
>>I take the liberty to answer, because I have the same or at least a
>>similar problem.
>
> <snip>
>
>>No, the keyboard is dead, even num lock can't be activated anymore.
>
> <snip>
>
>>No, it's a not systemwide crash, because it's possible to remote
>>login via ssh and kill gdm. Then I can login again directly on the
>>previously frozen machine. So, I think, in fact only the GUI,
>>especially X was frozen.
>
> An X crash.
>
> Can you tell us:
>  * which graphics card (and, crucially, which chipset) you have

lspci | grep -i nvidia
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV15
[GeForce2 GTS/Pro] (rev a3)

>  * which driver you are using: try
> grep Driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf

nv

>  * which architecture you're using (x86, Power, etc.)

x86

>  * whether the graphics connects via PCI, PCI Express, AGP, is
>    integrated into the system chipset, or something else.

AGP

> Thanks.

I thank /you/.

> I believe a user program should never be able to crash the entire
> console.

I've only seen that before with an experimental XFree86 4.3 on my
laptop.

[...]

If nobody has any further ideas, I'll submit a bug report.

Best regards,
	Christoph