Newbie Install Question - downloading and burning the install CDs, p2p

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 13:20:19 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:48:13 -0600, Tab Gilbert <tabbox at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ubuntu
> 022b6e193cf8c95e943c97bb94c03d00  hoary-preview-live-i386.iso
> ---
> md5sum 022b6e193cf8c95e943c97bb94c03d00
> ---
> tab at ubuntutab:~ $ md5sum /dev/cdrom hoary-preview-live-i386.iso
> error processing /dev/cdrom: failed in buffer_read(fd): mdfile:
> Input/output error
> 022b6e193cf8c95e943c97bb94c03d00  hoary-preview-live-i386.iso
>
> >(try burning at a slower speed,
>
> set at 1x
> It burns it in about 10 minutes and I figured at 1x it would take an hour. (?)

aha! If it's done in 10 minutes, it's not burning at 1x. What command
are using to burn? Are you using the nautilus burner "built-in" to
Ubuntu? If so I hope someone else will weigh in -- I do mine the "old
fashioned" way with the cdrecord command.

Also, if you pop in the cd and you see a file called whatever.iso,
then that means you burned the FILE to the cd rather than having it
restore the IMAGE of the file. (The CD done right has LOTS of files on
it.) You see, the .iso file says "this is a file representing" the CD,
and your burning utility has to convert it to an image that looks like
the contents of a CD, not burn the file itself. It's an easy mistake
to make with the Nautilus burner because it tries to be helpful.

It seems to me that in Ubuntu you right-click on the .iso file on your
hard disk and you see an option to burn the CD from the image. My
Ubuntu machine is off right now so I can't look (we had storms last
night so I had everything unplugged).

P.S.: I may not be following this thread much this morning... after
the rain there's a lot of water here between Toad Suck and Pickles
Gap... but fortunately it's supposed to clear out today. Good luck in
Bubbaistan!