Ubuntu KDE

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 13:58:12 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:23:06 -0500, rykel <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums> wrote:
> > p/s. To be fair to MEPIS, it is by far the only distro where daily
> > needed functions JUST WORK.
>
> Can you be more specific about what you liked about MEPIS, which you
> don't find in Ubuntu (or Kubuntu)?

> 1.   nvidia driver is just a gui click away; (altho' it didn't work for
> me initially but tat button is there)
>
> 3.   Java, Flash, Firefox Quicktime/WMV etc. plugins to watch different
> multimedia formats were already built in, and programs such as
> Realplayer and Azureus can be used out of the box;

I guess that's partly the goal to have a "free" (free-libre, not no
cost) distro.

I do, however, agree that it should be much easier to _add_ these
plugins once you're done than it is now -- I don't use streamed audio
a whole lot, but, if Ubuntu did support RealPlayer or QuickTime
out-of-the-box (or with one or two clicks to direct you to the
relevant manufacturer's websites) I'd be a happy camper. Instead,
you've got to futz around with mplayer, Helix, Totem, or something
similar none of which seem to work "out of the box" (perhaps it's
because the codecs are missing for PPC... can't be bothered to
troubleshoot b/c OS X does all I need in that dep't).

They'll never be able to legally distribute these plugins/apps on CD
without paying some £££ or rand or compromising their "as much as
possible" FLOSS-only goal, but they should provide EXPLICIT and easy
directions in the OS (not hidden in some support forum/wiki/whatever),
along with a disclaimer about non-FLOSS licenced software (not just
GPL since GPL isn't the only game in town).

> 2.   all menu icons were added automatically to my kde menu after
> installing them from mepis and debian repositories;

That was an older bug that I find fixed now. It seems all of my recent
installs have properly added icons to menus.