USB modem installation

Bill Christiansen bill.christiansen at paradise.net.nz
Fri Mar 11 20:32:07 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 14:29 +0000, John French wrote:
> I am still floundering around !  May I recap the saga to date ?
>
> 1. My system has a Lucent Winmodem for which I have a Linux driver which
> worked with Slackware, so I tried to install it with Ubuntu, and ran
> into problems that I haven't yet solved.
Lucent modem drivers are kernel specific and need to be recompile for
each change. You need the build-essential and kernel headers installed:
sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
 (It should be able to get these off the install CD)

> 2. To avoid the problems, I bought an external modem - USB, because my
> system has no serial or parallel ports.  Unfortunately, the new modem
> also turned out to be a software modem, so I got its Linux driver, but
> haven't been able to install that either.
>
> 3. I concluded it was "chicken and egg".  I wasn't going to be able to
> install either of the drivers until I had my system upgraded to current
> level, and I wasn't going to be able to upgrade until......
>
> 4. To break the circle, I bought another USB modem, this time one listed
> in the Knowledge Base at http://start.at/modem as a real hardware modem
> (OK with Linux) (MultiTech MT5634ZBA-USB). Now, the device manager sees
> it, but there is nothing in the /dev directory, which I can use to
> implement it.
Hardware modems usually show up on /dev/ttyS0 - ttyS4, but I haven't
actually tried a usb one so that may be a bit different. (I currently
have a pcmcia modem that uses ttyS0 for when my laptop's not connected
to the LAN).