HELP! video card issues?

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Thu Mar 10 07:04:54 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 01:24:49PM +0700, samakv wrote:
> Hello there.
>
> I have an ATI Radeon 9200. My M/B is Asus A7V880, chipset is VIA KT880.
> I got Ubuntu Warty installed.
>
> I passed all installation steps, the only one that I did not pass was
> the part where it should show GDM and a log in. A screen shows up but it
> is all messed up. And the systems stops responding. ctrl-alt-delete
> doesn't work. Only the mouse moves; responds to motions. Are there
> issues with either the video card or mainboard chipset? Got lost in the
> directory structure. Where can I see error logs or is it turned off by
> default? During the transition from boot messages to GDM, there were no
> error messages displayed to screen. Any one seen this before?

Can you get to a virtual console by typing ctrl-alt-F1?  If so, log in
and run 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' and check that you entered
the correct information initially.  There is a step in that process
where you get to test that X will run.

The ati driver isn't all that great, but should work.  There is a
proprietary driver which is better (install the linux-restricted-modules
package which matches your kernel version).