System Restore

Vram lamsokvr at xprt.net
Sun Jun 26 23:55:40 UTC 2005

Martin J Hooper wrote:

> Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>
>> I propose separating the base system and the site-specific
>> modifications into two separate regions.  The base OS plus any
>> changes to the base (security, bug fixes etc.) go into the base
>> region.  Any site-specific changes such as applications or
>> configuration changes go into the site-specific region. The two
>> regions are merged dynamically (unionfs?) such that anything in the
>> site-specific region is dominant and supersedes anything in the base
>> region. making changes to files or directories should be
>> automatically placed in the site-specific region.
>

> I was just thinking about partitioning being something along these lines.
>
> I have a root and a home partition - Wouldn't it be easier as well to
> have a small etc partition too.  Then if you needed to reinstall the
> OS you would just tell the installer to mount without formatting.
>
> Or would that not work??

If memory seves me right....

There are several things that must be on the root partition.

I believe that

/, etc, sbin, bin  all need to be on the same partition..

/boot, /usr, /var, tmp, opt, /home can be on separate partitions.

At least that is the way I recall it..

Someone correct me if I am wrong..

HTH

Vram