A Favor Please

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Wed Jun 15 08:41:06 UTC 2005

Hello squareyes,

s> would like to ask a favour from someone in the know :-)
s> I am making up some help files to write to CD, and wonder if
s> someone could check to see if I have written things correctly.
s> Being relatively ignorant, don't want to pass my misconceptions on
s> any further.

Looks fine to me.. (Which is not saying much) Only thing is: By
default I don't think Ubuntu comes with gcc or whatever stuff
is used to compile things.   You would need to include instructions to
check that gcc is installed, or to install it if it isn't.

Then out of respect of your effort I won't rant on compiling from source.
:)  The last time I compiled anything was 10 years ago on Solaris, and
I don't intend to ever do it again. (Other than my own stuff).

Ahh heck, let's rant: If God wanted people to compile from source He
wouldn't have given us apt-get. :P And.. I'd like to believe there's a
reason that Ubuntu didn't include gcc.. Likely related to the 'For
Human Beings' philosophy.

s> Another favour, Just what commands/applications are needed to read mail
s> from command line?

Pain.   Ooops, "pine".  That's 10 years ago for me as well.  :)
There's of course even more masochistic stuff around to read mail, but
I really dont think anyone should go there.  Use pine, if you must. :)

What's with the command line fetish, by the way?

(No seriously, chances are that at some point in time I will have to
compile something from source, and when I do I will definitely seek
out your instructions again.)

BTW, brain-wave: If the compile process is so straighforward that you
can write instructions for it, then why isn't there a graphical GUI
front end (or wizard) to the whole compile thingy? Better yet, build
it into the tool that normally takes care of installing things?  I
really, really don't like command lines. I wouldn't be here (with
Ubuntu) if I did!

Cheers,
Chanchao