Go to MY PC...

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 22:07:06 UTC 2005

Jack, I'm not going through the mailing list with this email.

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 09:51 -0400, Jack Jackson wrote:
> Hi, Tom and everyone
> Tom Adelstein wrote:
>
> >>Does anyone know if RealVNC server, the personal edition, will be on
> >>speaking terms with a vnc client on ubuntu? Or any other ideas?
> >>
> >>Thanks!
> >>

> >It is on speaking terms and I use it in tests. I have it running on XP
> >SP2 Home Edition right here in the lab. But you want to run it over the
> >Internet - correct?
> >

> That's right, I did.
>
> >If you use ZoneAlarm for your dad's firewall instead of the one from
> >Microsoft, you can make "exceptions" and open ports in stealth mode.
> >Port scans won't see it. ZoneAlarm is 100% free - not open-source but
> >like a Guinness if you come to Dallas in the summer and drop by SMU.
> >

> Right now he's using the NAT firewall from his router and everything is
> closed and stealthed.

I would still get rid of the Microsoft firewall and install ZoneAlarm.

You'll have to open a port on the NAT firewall to connect - correct?
Then ZoneAlarm will help. You can create a trusted zone which would
include the router.

> >You need to enable SSH on the Windows box and I suggest you use the
> >Putty tools and get those by installing WinSPC on the XP Box.
> >

> That was one of the issues - getting a free sshd for windows .

It looks like John Kirkland pointed you to the sshwindows project at
sourceforge.

> >I don't know your dad's set up so it's difficult to offer suggestions.
> >Does he use a firewall device like a Linksys router? Or is he connecting
> >to the Internet directly? Do you know how to redirect ports?
> >

> Yes, he's got the router, and I can do port forwarding  - at least I do
> it all the time in Linux, like when I get my mail across an ssh tunnel.

depending on the router you should be able to come in through an
uncommon port from the Internet side and back out normally to hit your
dad's system.

> >You have many options, but having to figure this out by yourself is
> >tough. I saw the cygwin suggestion and tied my hands down and bit my
> >tongue. I'll say no more because I have used Cygwin many, many times and
> >totally support the project. I just don't recommend it to people who
> >have never used it before for this kind of work.
> >
> >In my original response, I made a typo - WIN XP Home does "not" work
> >with TSClient and rdesktop. Someone else reiterated that. But, you can
> >use another WIN XP and log on to your dad's box.
> >

> Right, that'sa big problem as I don't have another winxp box around -
> the whole house is linux except my son's xp notebook, which isn't really
> mine to use!

I understand.

> >This is how it works. You setup remote assistance on your dad's box. He
> >sends you an email requesting your help. You use that email attachment
> >to log on to your dad's machine. If you have any room on a hard drive,
> >you can save yourself a lot of time by adding it.
> >

> Right, but that's insecure as far as I can tell, isn't it?

I though RDP was encrypted. That's what you would use.

> >Yesterday was my dad's birthday. He died Christmas night. This is the
> >first time in my life I didn't get to celebrate his birthday with him. I
> >wish I had the opportunity to do something for him now. BTW, his name
> >was Jack.
> >

> I am so sorry to hear that, Tom. It must be terrible. I don't know what
> I'll do when it happens to me. If it was the first time you didn't spend
> his birthday with him in your life, he was a lucky man - I can only hope
> my son can say that someday, too.

It's more terrible than anything I could imagine. I had a wonderful
father and we were really close in a spiritual sense. We had some ups
and downs when I was young, but not like other people I know. I didn't
know I would take his death this hard.

I may not have spent every birthday with him, but I at least spoke with
him or had a belated meal. He was just an unusual man who everyone
really liked.

I hope your son can say that too. I think the real key with my dad was
that he never called me a name or attacked me personally. He never said,
you're a bad kid or a jerk or anything even remotely like that. He
respected and admired my person and treated the person, Tom, with
dignity. I was OK, but he sometimes didn't like my behavior and he let
me know that's how he saw it.

Let me know if I can help you get your connectivity set up with your
dad.

best wishes