Go to MY PC...

Jack Jackson jackson.linux at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 13:51:44 UTC 2005

Hi, Tom and everyone
Tom Adelstein wrote:

>>Does anyone know if RealVNC server, the personal edition, will be on
>>speaking terms with a vnc client on ubuntu? Or any other ideas?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>

>It is on speaking terms and I use it in tests. I have it running on XP
>SP2 Home Edition right here in the lab. But you want to run it over the
>Internet - correct?

That's right, I did.

>If you use ZoneAlarm for your dad's firewall instead of the one from
>Microsoft, you can make "exceptions" and open ports in stealth mode.
>Port scans won't see it. ZoneAlarm is 100% free - not open-source but
>like a Guinness if you come to Dallas in the summer and drop by SMU.

Right now he's using the NAT firewall from his router and everything is
closed and stealthed.

>You need to enable SSH on the Windows box and I suggest you use the
>Putty tools and get those by installing WinSPC on the XP Box.

That was one of the issues - getting a free sshd for windows .

>I don't know your dad's set up so it's difficult to offer suggestions.
>Does he use a firewall device like a Linksys router? Or is he connecting
>to the Internet directly? Do you know how to redirect ports?

Yes, he's got the router, and I can do port forwarding  - at least I do
it all the time in Linux, like when I get my mail across an ssh tunnel.

>You have many options, but having to figure this out by yourself is
>tough. I saw the cygwin suggestion and tied my hands down and bit my
>tongue. I'll say no more because I have used Cygwin many, many times and
>totally support the project. I just don't recommend it to people who
>have never used it before for this kind of work.
>
>In my original response, I made a typo - WIN XP Home does "not" work
>with TSClient and rdesktop. Someone else reiterated that. But, you can
>use another WIN XP and log on to your dad's box.

Right, that'sa big problem as I don't have another winxp box around -
the whole house is linux except my son's xp notebook, which isn't really
mine to use!

>This is how it works. You setup remote assistance on your dad's box. He
>sends you an email requesting your help. You use that email attachment
>to log on to your dad's machine. If you have any room on a hard drive,
>you can save yourself a lot of time by adding it.

Right, but that's insecure as far as I can tell, isn't it?

>Yesterday was my dad's birthday. He died Christmas night. This is the
>first time in my life I didn't get to celebrate his birthday with him. I
>wish I had the opportunity to do something for him now. BTW, his name
>was Jack.

I am so sorry to hear that, Tom. It must be terrible. I don't know what
I'll do when it happens to me. If it was the first time you didn't spend
his birthday with him in your life, he was a lucky man - I can only hope
my son can say that someday, too.