Hoary: Intel 915 GMS chipset

Sean C Sieger sean.sieger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 13:56:11 UTC 2005

Hello Folks --

This list is incredible, continuously answering questions
that I have yet to formulate. I thank you all.

I have searched the archives, the HowTo's, the Forums and
the Installation Guide and I cannot figure out what to do to
get the widesreen resolution (1280x768) that my new Dell
Latitude X1 is capable of.

When I try to hand edit my xorg.conf, I just crash my
xserver. Following the instructions for 855resolution from
the above sources has yielded no results as far as I can
tell.

And what I don't understand is that my xorg.conf looks like
this (so close?) and does not give me 1280x768:

Section "Files"
	FontPath	"unix/:7100"			# local font server
	# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
        # paths to defoma fonts
	FontPath	"/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
	FontPath	"/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load	"bitmap"
	Load	"dbe"
	Load	"ddc"
	Load	"dri"
	Load	"extmod"
	Load	"freetype"
	Load	"glx"
	Load	"int10"
	Load	"record"
	Load	"type1"
	Load	"vbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
        Option		"HorizScrollDelta"	"0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Intel Corporation Intel Default Card"
	Driver		"i810"
	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Generic Monitor"
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Device		"Intel Corporation Intel Default Card"
	Monitor		"Generic Monitor"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		1
		Modes		"1280x768"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		4
		Modes		"1280x768"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		8
		Modes		"1280x768"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		15
		Modes		"1280x768"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		16
		Modes		"1280x768"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1280x768"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Default Layout"
	Screen		"Default Screen"
	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
	InputDevice	"Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
	Mode	0666
EndSection

My questions are:

1) Can I expect 1280x768?

2) Should I have already upgraded to Breezy?

3) Can someone help me edit my xorg.conf?

Thank you so much for reading this.

-- Sean