yahoo pop service for evolution

Michael R Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Thu Jun 2 19:33:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 10:32 -0500, Charles Malespin wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion Ziyad, I got fetchyahoo from synaptic and have
> it installed.  I can run it from the command line, but that isnt what I
> want to do... Basically, here is my problem.  I have never used
> evolution or anything similar so I dont really know how to set these
> things up.  I dont know how to set up a local directory or what to put
> in for the pop servers or SMTP outgoing server or anything like that....
> I hate to be such a noob and baby about this, but if someone wouldnt
> mind explaining quickly what to do I would greatly appreciate it!  Thank
> you guys, this forum is a saviour for noobs like me!

Start evolution. go to Edit/Preferences. Click the Add button. Step
through the wizard, adding your personal information. Once you get to
the "Receiving Email" step, you'll have to select some "Server type".
You have said you want POP, so select that.

You'll need to get the connection information from your provider at this
point. If you intend to use POP from yahoo, you have to pay them money
(gmail allows POP access but does not require money for it). In any
event, if you want to use POP, you'll have to have a POP account
somewhere, and the people running that place should provide you with the
host and username information.

Once you've entered that info, click Forward and you might want to
enable "Leave messages on server," otherwise your message will be
automatically deleted from your inbox when you download them in
evolution.

Click forward to get to the "Sending Email" page. Again, you'll need to
supply information given to you by either your ISP or your email
provider. Sometimes the host will be something like "smtp-server.rr.com"
or similar, but you really will have to find that out from your ISP or
email provider.

After that, you're basically done. Just click Send/Receive to download
your email into evolution.

Does that help you?

mike

--