packages cd creation

ashley maher ashley.maher at didymodesigns.com.au
Thu Jul 28 02:30:37 UTC 2005

Guido,

Thanks for the reply.

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 02:38 +0200, Guido Heumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just some ideas, maybe they help you:
>
> ashley maher schrieb:
> > G'day,
> >
> > I'm part of a team organising an Ubuntu Install est for a local
> > University.
> >
> > I'm attempting to create a second install cd for this week-ends install
> > fest. The students will not have net access during the install fest.
> >
> > If anybody can see a fault in my method please let me know.
> >
> > What I've been doing:
> > I have a list of packages from the Uni that are used in the lab
> > machines. I created a basic ubuntu install. Got the list of packages
> > installed in the basic install. Created a diff of those in the basic
> > install, and the uni install.
>
> How did you make the lists? I would use dpkg --get-selections > list.txt

I believe so. Anyway it is only a straight package list

> How did you make the diff? unfortunately I'm not familiar with command
> line diff, but mayby the output from diff confused the apt-get command:

I wrote a perl script so it was formatted just as apt like it.

> > apt-get install -y -d `cat diff_pkg_list`
>
> for this the input should be a plain list of package names.

good I got that right

> you can alternatively use the combination of "dpkg --get-selections >
> list.txt" and later "dpkg --set-selections < list.txt", followed by a
> "apt-get dselect-upgrade".
>
> > So I then had the downloaded packages, and hopefully all dependent
> > packages, required to bring the basic install up to the same as a uni
> > lab machine.
>
> since you had dependency problems, it looks like there was something
> missing. perhaps the uni machine has a different sources.list or
> hand-compiled/local packages installed?

so long as I use package names, and the ubuntu repositories then surely
I should be fine to get teh dependences for ubuntu from teh packages
list?

> > mkdir extras_cd
> >
> > mkdir extras_cd/pool
> >
> > cp the downloaded packages to pool
> >
> > mkdir  extras_cd/dists/hoary/universe/binary-i386/
> >

> > then used this script (thanks to Matt Palmer) to create some need files:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > PDIR="dists/hoary/universe/binary-i386"
> >
> > dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null > $PDIR/Packages
> > gzip -c $PDIR/Packages > \
> >                 $PDIR/Packages.gz
> >
> > rm md5sum.txt
> >
> > md5sum $(find pool dists -type f ) > md5sum.txt
> >
> > mkisofs -r -J -l                                                \
> >         -publisher "South Coast Linux Users' Group"             \
> >         -V "Ubuntu Extras"                                      \
> >         -o ../extras.iso .
> >

> For this I would just copy all extra packages to one directory, open a
> terminal, cd to the directory and type
> "dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null | gzip > Packages.gz"
>
> There should be one file named Packages.gz between all the .debs in this
> directory after that.

ok I'll try that.

> Then burn the whole directory to cd with nautulilus/gnomebaker/k3b etc
>
> you can later add the cd to the apt repositories with "apt-cdrom add" in
> a terminal.
>

> > Burned the iso, added it to repositories of the basic installed ubuntu,
> > then tried to install all and got so many dependencey errors it looked
> > like a christmas tree.
> >
> > If somebody can find what I'm doing wrong, much appreciated. Any ideas
> > greatfully received, Saturday is approaching kinda like an express!
> >

> Hope this helps. Good luck for saturday!
>
> Cheers,
> Guido

Thanks.

Regards,