hdparm.conf

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Tue Jul 26 20:46:14 UTC 2005

> > On Sat, July 23, 2005 1:55 pm, Chanchao said:

> > > Linux programmers seem to delight using these comment-characters (#) to
> > > 'disable' certain commands, so they become like examples. It even
> > > enriched the English language with the verbs 'to uncomment' and 'to
> > > comment out'.
> > >
> > > Very often when configuring stuff in Linux, it involves opening a config
> > > file that already includes loads of settings, but some, most, or all of
> > > them have been 'commented out' using #-characters.  You can then select
> > > the settings you need by removing the # character using a text editor.
> > >
> > > All of this is the result of lazyness on the part of the developer(s)
> > > who didn't bother to program a basic screen or wizard to configure
> > > things. Furthermore, they even convinced themselves that config files
> > > are a Good Thing!   As yet, they haven't convince me though.

No, really, they are.
Once you have your config file, you can mail it to a friend, or just tar up
/etc to backup a systems config.

You can backup a working config:

  cp /etc/app.conf /etc/app.conf.timestamp

fancy 'last known good?'

  cp /etc/app.conf.ok /etc/app.conf

want to know what changes you made in the last month?

  diff /etc/app.conf /etc/app.conf.lastmonth

and so on. 30 years old traditions exist for a reason.

If you want a GUI, that's fine. But we don't all have them
 - yes, headless servers could use a remote X server, but ssh is faster and
embedded systems don't have space for X client libraries.

Anyway, a *good* GUI wizard should be able to add or remove a leading hash, for
crying out loud...

--
'Terrify ants into believing they have been invaded by "War Of The Worlds" style
Martians by standing 3 pin plugs on end around their holes."' -- J.T. Thropton.