Hello wall!

Bjørn Ingmar Berg bjorn.ingmar.berg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 12:03:05 UTC 2005

Ladies!  Gentlemen!

I'm fairly new to Ubuntu and has been on the list lurking for about
two months. I've accumulated a few questions, and think it's a good
idea to introduce myself before asking away.

I'm a norwegian IT consultant in my late 30s, and I've been working
professionally with computers in some fashion since 1986.  I've worked
with real computers such as Digital VAX, HP3000, IBM RS-6000 and IBM
AS/400 as well as all flavours of micro$oft, Novell and a bit of OS/2.
 My very first computing experience was on an Apple II, and I've
actually worked quite a bit with CP/M.  Lately it has "narroved itself
down" to the various Windows flavours, AS/400 and all things internet
and TCP/IP.  And Ubuntu at home.  ;-)
Besides my work, family and dogs I play go almost daily on
www.dragongoserver.net.  The nearest I come to any web-presence (so
far) is being keeper of the FAQ there.

What attracted me from the very first time I heard about Linux was
that -just like real computers- Linux had proper multi-user and
multi-process capabilities.  So I experimented with Suse and RedHat in
1998-99 but never really got anywhere.  I always got it installed and
running, but always it managed to crash horribly sometime and come
back with corrupt disks.  Discouraging.  I wanted (still do) to learn
Linux on a system that actually works, and keeps running.  So through
the years I've checked this distro and that, but never really found it
to be reliable enough to replace that other desktop OS.  Until Ubuntu
4.10.  I've been using the 4.10 live CD very much, and when 5.04 was
released I got it as a coverdisk with a computer magazine.  I copied
personal files off my desktop machine, wiped the disks to get rid of
that other desktop OS, and installed Ubuntu.  The rest is history;
I've never been so satisfied with any OS.  Ubuntu has -for me- brought
back the sheer joy of computing I had with the Apple II and Sinclair
ZX Spectrum.

To you -the Ubuntu users list- I must say it's a very encouraging
experience to be here.  I am impressed both by the tolerance and
technical expertice you demonstrate.  Simply lurking on the list has
given me several useful tips.  Cudos both to the people behind the
distro itself, and the Ubuntu community here!

Kind regards,
Bjørn Ingmar