Dual Head, Xinerama, and brightness

Russell Cook bike_oz at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jul 15 22:47:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 20:25 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 6/27/05, Luis Murillo <lmurillo at gmx.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 09:52 +1200, Daniel Cross wrote:
> > [...]
> > > 1) I have to run the screen depths at 16.  If I run at 24 the 17" only
> > > displays the top half of the display.
> >
> > unlike Windows, which can handle different resolutions on each monitor,
> > Linux can't do the same. As to what I've heard it's xinerama's fault ;)

This is incorrect. On my laptop I run Xinerama multihead with 1400x1050
Laptop LCD resolution and 1280x1024 resolution on the external LCD. Both
are part of one desktop and to the extent that programs can have their
windows split across both screens if I want. Even Wine uses both
(something some Windows apps can't).

> My advice, for what little it's worth: try to set this up under a
> distro that understands multihead, such as SuSE or Xandros, and see
> what they make of it.

I'm not an expert in this areas, but from memory, all I had to do was
add the Xinerama and screen definitions to my Xorg.conf file and it
"just worked". I did need to get this info from a friend who knew how to
set it up :-)

Kind Regards Russell
www.windsorcycles.com.au
bikes.no-ip.info