Backup utility in linux

Jim Richardson warlock at eskimo.com
Fri Jul 15 19:38:03 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 01:52 -0600, Jewel wrote:
> On 7/11/05, Ante Karamatić <ivoks at grad.hr> wrote:
> > I'm not doing system restore, as I find that useless for Linux. I'm
> > creating simple backup system to backup userfiles. Backup != System
> > Restore. If you ever used any backup system on Linux/BSD/Windows
> > (amanda, bacula, etc...) then you know what I'm talking about.
> >

> Backing up /usr would of course be useless.  By mentioning /etc I was
> thinking of 1) the xorg.conf file[*] and 2) system settings that can
> be changed from the included gui tools.  Would it be nice if the
> backup tool would give the user the option to save his or her printer
> settings, network settings, etc?  Perhaps the amount of complexity
> that restoring these settings would add outweighs the benefits.
>
> Other than that, I think it's safe to say that there is probably
> nothing more that a "typical" user cares about other than what is in
> /home/$user and possibly /home/$otheruser.  I'm kind of envisioning a
> dead simple interface where they are presented with:
>
> What do you want to back up?
>
> [ ] Program Settings (2 MB)    [i.e. ~/.*]
> [ ] Documents (20 MB)
> [ ] Photos (200 MB)
> [ ] Videos (2 GB)
>
> or
>
> o All my files (2.2 GB)
>
> Or perhaps a collapsable tree with checkboxes of everything in /home/$user.
>
> Once again, just brainstorming.  Perhaps this is the entirely wrong
> direction to go.  I'm trying to envision a very ubuntu interface that
> does something more than file-roller or gnome-baker already
> accomplish.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jewel
>
> [*]  On reflection, this probably isn't a big deal.  It's just the
> only file I ever grab from /etc before wiping a disk.

have you considered a front end to rdiff-backup? I find that
rdiff-backup works well, is stable, and easy to use (although like many
cli based apps, requires you to read the docs first, for anything beyond
the basics.)

"It says he made us all to be just like him. So if we're dumb, then god
is dumb, and maybe even a little ugly on the side." -- Frank Zappa