FreeNX - suspend & resume problem

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Jul 15 07:09:13 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 12:04:04AM -0400, volvoguy wrote:
>On 7/14/05, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
>
>> Nope. Doesn't improve the situation at all. I've tried all combinations
>> of ENABLE_AUTORECONNECT and ENABLE_AUTORECONNECT_BEFORE_140 but still
>> only a quick flicker from the client.
>>
>> ii  freenx         0.3.1-2~5.04ub The FreeNX application/thin-client server ba
>>
>> The client is version 1.4.0-92.
>
>Bummer. That's just weird. I'd think that two up-to-date Hoary systems
>would be nearly identical (for the server side). Are you connecting to
>the server from a Windows machine or another Ubuntu machine? Maybe
>that's the difference. (I'm using the Windows client from NoMachine).
>So far, *crosses fingers* I'm still able to disconnect and reconnect to
>my original session after about two days of testing now.

Yes, it's both a bummer and weird.

I'm using the !M client on a Windows machine as well. So our setups
sound identical.

>Now I just need to figure out  how to connect to that session through
>my firewall from the outside world. Any ideas?

It all goes through SSH doesn't it? Opening port 22 would do it. Or move
sshd to another port to avoid most of the smurfs scanning.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

The wire protocol guys don't worry about security because that's
really a network protocol problem. The network protocol guys don't
worry about it because, really, it's an application problem. The
application guys don't worry about it because, after all, they can
just use the IP address and trust the network.
      -- Marcus J. Ranum