Unofficial Ubuntu 5.04 Add-On CD - Install report (Is/was: Re: Update: Unofficial Ubuntu 5.04 Add-On CD)

hagen van rissenbeck news4didascali at gmx.net
Wed Jul 13 20:20:33 UTC 2005

Chua Wen Kiat wrote:

> Try:
> Unofficial Ubuntu 5.04 Add-On CD

I did it!

Hi list, hi Chuat (is this your first name?),

it was purely by chance that I helped a newbie today installing our
great ubuntu distro on a laptop.

First of all we installed the basic install cd without internet
connection. To offer that newbie a complete desktop environment, I
tested the new (?) Unofficial Ubuntu 5.04 Add-On CD. Chua posted the
announcement of its release yesterday - was it really a new release?

However, we did the things described within the readme-file - extraction
into the /home/<sudo-users>/Download - folder using the install.sh -
script, than installation using the ug-install.sh-script with the -auto
option.

The results? What should I say? The maintainers did a great job,
congratulations.

I didn't test everything, but internet works fine (macromedia/java) and
the you-know-what-I-mean-dvds are played by xine. All that without
confusion. Within the next days, we will test more of the opportunities,
a report will be followed.

The only difficulty: to explain the shell concept and scripting to a
newbie ;-)

I have to repeat myself: a wonderful solution, that Unofficial Ubuntu
5.04 Add-On CD. It reduces time and dystress during an installation.

Thanks a lot for that,

Hagen

BTW: it was a medion laptop - a german no-name-hardware-seller which
distributes pcs and laptops through the selling channels of germany's
largest food discounter - aldi). I've had no time to configure the
winmodem, probably I will hear from the laptop's owner, how he connects
successfully to the internet ;-)