Making Galeon like Firefox

Jeff Co hanzjordan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 02:25:43 UTC 2005

Hello,
I have been using Firefox for some time now. I found out that after a few
hours of use, it would run very slowly, and not just the program, but my
whole computer would run slowly. I could get things back to normal if I just
quit the program and restart it.

I sought out some help in my distro's set up IRC room, and they said that it
runs slowly because Firefox has a memory leak. They recommended I try
another browser. So now I'm using Galeon, which I've been told, is tied very
smoothly with the Gnome that comes wiith my Ubuntu.

Anyway, I'd like to make Galeon have the following traits:

a) Make Galeon open up mailto links in the web version of gmail compose
screen.

b) When running fullscreen mode, the status bar hides away (default), which
is the way I like it. But in this mode, is there a way to get the selected
hyperlink showing what URL is being pointed at?

c) I tried remapping the "Go Back" command to Backspace, just like in
Firefox and IE, but when I'm in a textbox, the backspace key can't function
normally. Is there a way we can have Galeon smarten up?

d) How can we have the spinner/throbber (on the upper-right hand corner of
the program) opens up whatever website we want, rather than
http://galeon.sourceforge.net/?

e) make the tab close on middle-button click (ala Firefox). This would
therefore obviate the "X" on the tabs

f)make new tab open on doubleclick in free space ((like Firefox)

g) undo close tab on middleclick in free space (like a tab extension for
Firefox)

h)search through all text in webpage, and not just links, when i start
typing

i) have fullscreen really be full screen (no toolbars, address bar)

j) Is there a way to have Ctrl-Tab cycle through tabs (like Opera)?

i) making irc:// links a protocol that Galeon recognizes. I'd like Galeon to
open up Xchat for me with the selected chatroom

thank you for your help!