newbie user/root dycotomy

Martijn van de Streek martijn at foodfight.org
Fri Jan 21 05:40:27 UTC 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Douglas Alves wrote:

> I've downloaded some packages from universe and elsewhere, and saved
> them in my /home/.../Desktop but when I want to unpack them
> in /usr/local I'm told I don't have permission!
>
> What would be the way to go?
> (I'm trying to keep away from the Command line as much as possible)

The best way to install package from universe is using the package
manager - you can find that in the menu ("Synaptic"), especially if
you don't want to use the commandl line :)

Packages from elsewhere.. are you sure they aren't in universe or
multiverse already (again. look around in synaptic)?

Packages are a better choice than compiling/installing software "by
hand" 99% of the time.

Martijn
--
I saw what you did and I know who you are