newbie user/root dycotomy

ulrich steffens ulrich at barfuss-jerusalem.org
Fri Jan 21 06:54:20 UTC 2005

when it comes to audio-apps on linux you don't have much of a choice.
these applications mostly use 'bleeding edge environments', so if you
always want to be up to date, just upgrading the application isnt
enough. chances are good that a new version of your desired app also
depend on new libs which arent availlable. so if your primary target is
audio, then you can

      get yourself some coffee, start smoking and upgrade to hoary.
      for example, hoary contains the newest rosegarden-version.

or

      get yourself some coffee, start smoking and go CLI ;)
      learn how to compile your apps if you always want to be up to
      date. often its not only the app thats important to upgrade,
      these apps mostly depend also on the newest libs.
      so you can't use a 'bleeding edge' app and old libs anyways.

but either way you go: you can't avoid the command line. its linux.

hope this helps ;)
 ulrich

--
- ulrich