customizing the gnome menu

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 21:51:22 UTC 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:31:06 -0500, Michael Soulier <msoulier at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I customize the gnome menu? I don't see an app for it.

Editing the Applications menu for yourself is easy. Just right-click
when you have one of the submenus open (choose Entire Menu to add
something). Editing for everyone on the system is a little trickier.
Try

$ sudo nautilus applications-all-users:///

and make changes that way (more details on  Applications/Help). That
works sometimes. If not, there may be a permissions problem. The
following worked for me:

sudo chmod 755 /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/applications-all-users
sudo chmod -R a+r /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/applications-all-users

hope that helps.

-Eamonn