USB key : what to do to get it working ???

Chuck Vose vosechu at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 19:18:46 UTC 2005

> Yeah, Jason sorted me fine. "sudo mount -t vfat -o
> uid=<user_name> /dev/sdxy /media/usb" works fine, once the devices have
> been created. But the problem (see my other mails) is that Ubuntu only
> creates the USB devices (sg1, sdb, sdb1 in my case), when BOOTING the
> machine !!! :-/ So I am now trying to figure out how to create the
> devices once Ubuntu i started, so that I don't have to reboot.
> Doesnt seem straighforward at all though, really hoping it will be fixed
> for Hoary...

It's not straighforward, automounting is still new. What you probably
need to do is `sudo /etc/init.d/hotplug restart` and it'll reload
hotplug and hopfully find your disk. But even without this when you
plug in the drive you should still be able to use the mount command to
load up the stick.

One of the problems with usb sticks and wireless pcmcia cards is that
they're planning on having native windows support since nobody wants
to install drivers for a freaking pen. So give it some time and
hopefully things will get sorted eventually :)

-Chuck