USB key : what to do to get it working ???

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 17 20:54:06 UTC 2005

> It's not straighforward, automounting is still new. What you probably
> need to do is `sudo /etc/init.d/hotplug restart`

Yeah, that was my first guess...

> and it'll reload hotplug and hopfully find your disk.

...but it didn't find the USB stick...
Well, it didn't do anything at all really, it just returned to the
prompt immdiatel, printing nothing at all on the screen.

> But even without this when you plug in the drive you should still be able to use the mount command to
> load up the stick.

You mean mount it eventhough the devices are not created ?!??
Wow, sounds great, but I would find it confusing...how comes it can
mount a device that doesn't even exist...

> One of the problems with usb sticks and wireless pcmcia cards is that
> they're planning on having native windows support since nobody wants
> to install drivers for a freaking pen. So give it some time and
> hopefully things will get sorted eventually :)

Yes, I have come to adopt this philosophy with Linux. I tend to take it
easy, and just wait for things to improve, over time, at their own pace.
Eventually, over the months, bugs get removed, programs become more
stable, have more features, look better, work faster, etc.
So I will just wait for Hoary then, or maybe the release after that.
Eventually, USB hotplug support will be perfect, and dozens of other
things will be fixed as well. Just a matter of time...

Vince