Ubuntu KDE

Russell Cook ruscook_oz at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jan 9 04:11:06 UTC 2005

I'm a recent Gnome convert (windows and mandrake). The nuvola theme on
Ubuntu's "clean" install is a great UI IMHO.

The only issue I see long term with Gnome vs KDE is market penetration.
To date, the numbers I've seen show KDE being deployed at a ratio of at
least 2:1 compared to Gnome - I'd be happy to be corrected on this.

History doesn't seem to care which is the better technology but which
gets critical mass first. If we think back to the last 30 years, a lot
of second best technologies seem to win out. I'm not saying KDE is
second best, but the point I'm making is even if Gnome is technically
superior, that tends to be irrelevant, it's who gets that mass first.

Some examples:
    Beta     vs   VHS
    Z80      vs   8080
    68000   vs   80186, 80286, 80386
    CPM/80 vs  MS-DOS (early versions)
    Alpha   vs Pentium/Xeon
    PowerPC vs Pentium/Xeon
    OS/2     vs   MS Windows
    Mac      vs   PC
    MacOS vs    MS Windows

How well have all the products on the left done? Primarily niche markets
to date.

Let's try to get Ubuntu (or at least Debian based distro's - stable with
simple to use package mgt) a critical mass of market share. i.e. in the
right hand column :-) If we need KDE & Gnome to do that so be it. Let's
target them as options in Ubuntu and highlight they have different
primary aims or objectives.

For example:
    Gnome a  full featured stable, clean and functional desktop for
corporate and home office use.
    KDE a full featured desktop with many utils pre-installed lots of
eye candy, suitable for gaming and multimedia.

The above are just examples before I step on anyone's toes :-)

Std disclaimer, this is just my 2c worth on the issue.

Kind Regards Russ
http://www.windsorcycles.com.au