Automagical mounting no longer working

CB ubuntu-users at crispin.cb-ss.net
Sat Jan 1 00:59:23 UTC 2005

zer0halo wrote:
> This doesn't work for me. No matter what I connect, whether it be a
> USB thumbdrive, USB CF card reader,  iPod via Firewire, none of them
> mount automatically or display an icon. They used to, and I have no
> idea why they don't now.
>
> In fact, even when I put a CD in my CD drive, it no longer mounts the
> CD and shows an icon on my desktop like it used to. (However, it does
> if i go to Computer, Disks, and click on the CD ROM icon).
>
> So in my case, gnome-volume-manager doesn't seem to be doing its job,
> but I don't know how to fix it. Clues? Thanks.

I've tried posting versions of this question now in several fora,
with no results. I have a feeling that no-one other than the developers
really know how this stuff works, and obviously the developers are going
to be pushed enough just writing and debugging mostly in their spare time.

The other possibility is that the question/issue isn't as 'interesting'
as stuff about multimedia or other funky user apps.

It seems the only way to find the answer here is going to be to get all
the relevant source and work through it. Unfortunately I doubt my programming
knowledge is really up to that.

It's interesting that your automounting used to work. That suggests we
might be dealing with a bug rather than a config issue, but without the
necessary background info, I don't even know how to decide if it's a bug
so I daren't raise it (non-experts tend to get shouted at by the tech
cognoscenti when they file 'bugs' that turn out not to be).