How do I change BIOS setting to LBA as GRUB wont start WinXP of NTFS - newbie

Hodgins Family ehodgins at telusplanet.net
Fri Feb 25 20:41:48 UTC 2005

Good afternoon!

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 09:10 +1300, Lindsay wrote:
> This is the recent CMOS setting I sent to Nick.   Do you (anyone) see
> which
> setting then has to be changed by force to fool Grub into thinking the
> hda1 is LBA?   I'll leave you to think about it.........

I've deleted all information that you provided except for the "first"
page" sometimes called "Main" on the CMOS screen. On my machines this
page is where you want to be. The line that specifies your Maxtor drive
is the one we want to look at more closely.

Tell us if, in your CMOS, the Maxtor 6Y060l0 is actually enclosed in
square brackets? One of my CMOS's (CMOSi ?!) shows its information this
way. What I do to change the info is to cursor "inside" the brackets and
hit the Enter key. That opens another (sub) menu that allows me to
choose what sort of drive I want/need/have...whatever. Choices usually
are Numbers (1 to 46), user, LBA, Auto, CD, and the ever useful "No
drive".
Other CMOSs might require highlighting the relevant information but
thumping on the PageUp or PageDown key with similar choices.

> Date
> Time
> IDE Primary Slave  [Maxtor 6Y060L0]
> IDE Primary Slave  [CD-ROM 48X/AKU]