How do I change BIOS setting to LBA as GRUB wont start WinXP of NTFS - newbie

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 21:22:49 UTC 2005

On 26 Feb 2005 at 9:10, Lindsay wrote:
> This is the recent CMOS setting I sent to Nick.   Do you (anyone) see
> which setting then has to be changed by force to fool Grub into
> thinking the hda1 is LBA?   I'll leave you to think about it.........

Hi Lindsay

If you have a multi GB disk, I would be surprised if you were not using
LBA.  I've not been following this thread so I may be on the wrong tack,
but why do you need to enable LBA to get GRUB to rn WinXP?  If you
do, then there is a specific command you can give GRUB to force it to
use LBA.  See the GRUB manual at

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

where is says

Caution2: A number of BIOSes don't return a correct LBA support
bitmap even if they do have the support. So GRUB provides a solution
to ignore the wrong bitmap, that is, the option --force-lba. Don't use this
option if you know that your BIOS doesn't have LBA support.

As I said, I would be surprised if your BIOS doesn't support LBA.
Especially as its copyright dates run from 1984 to 2002.  Its newer than
my BIOS which has no problems with a 40GB disk.

Good luck

Tony