Deja vu: upgrading from warty to hoary

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Sun Feb 13 15:25:07 UTC 2005

Hi,

My laptop's hard disk died today, so I put in a replacement one,
installed Warty on it, and then apt-get upgraded into Hoary.

The upgrade aborted with an error on gimp2-data, and I had to restart
it, and also give it some nudges.

When the upgrade finished, I was left with a 640x480 X login screen.
There were no hsync/vsync ranges in /etc/X11/Xorg.conf, and the savage
driver decided to use very conservative default ones.

I had experienced both problems back in January, when I upgraded to
Hoary for the first time.  (Actually, in January Xorg.conf had
hsync/vsync ranges specified in it, albeit in a syntactically incorrect
way, so today I see a different problem.)

I will look into bugzilla.ubuntu.com later, when I finish the
upgrade/configuration and restore my data from backups.

Marius Gedminas
--
The UNIX philosophy basically involves giving you enough rope to
hang yourself.  And then a couple of feet more, just to be sure.