EVMS oddities

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Thu Feb 3 09:51:44 UTC 2005

I have a number of EVMS volumes which work perfectly and get
mounted/fscked at boot time.  One of them doesn't.

# cat /etc/fstab
#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda3       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/hda1       /boot           ext2    defaults        0       2
/dev/evms/hdh1  /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/evms/space /home/space     ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/evms/library /home/library ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/evms/myth	/home/mythdata	jfs	defaults,errors=remount-ro	0	2
/dev/hda2       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/hdd        /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

The /dev/evms/myth volume doesn't work properly.  When I shutdown and
reboot, the /dev/evms/myth volume stops existing (so the mount and fsck
fail, requiring me to Ctrl-D the emergency shell) and I have to run
evmsn manually, hit "Save" to apply changes and quit to recreate the
volume. I don't lose any data.

Any ideas what this problem is?  Is it EVMS, ubuntu, SATA (the myth
volume is physically on SATA disks rather than PATA disks like the
others), JFS, or what?

thanks,
jack