Ubuntu installer

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 2 04:07:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 04:45:02AM +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:

> I just installed a new hardrive in my machine, on which I intend to
> install/try all the "Array" Hoary CD's, while leaving my Warty on the
> main hard drive.
> But there will be quite a few Arrays before Hoary is released, and
> although I got hold of an old Cd writer for free, I can't justify
> wasting CD just for that.
> So can I just download the ISO and install Hoary from a hard drive ?
> And can I install from the network, directly from the Ubuntu server ?
>
> This morning a friend re-installed his system, Mandrake 10.1c, and it
> showed a nice little menu giving the choice between NFS, http, ftp, and
> local ISO install, would be good Ubuntu offered the same, very flexible
> and convenient.

Yes, you can install from the network, but this can take a long time
depending on your available bandwidth.  If you intend to test more than
once, this is not generally your best option.

A better way is to do what I do, and invest in some rewritable media (I use
DVD+RW, others use CD-RW or other varieties of rewritable DVD media).  This
is simpler, cheaper (if you buy good quality media which can be rewritten
many times) and more ecologically sound than using single-use media.

--
 - mdz