How to understand computers (Was: Re: Dual Boot Problem)

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Fri Dec 30 10:17:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 19:14 -0800, James Diehl wrote:
> I don't know any other words to explain it!  I talked to several
> people that use both programs, and they all said "Don't run Linux,
> then Windows!"  The difference in the programs will cause a conflict
> in each.  They offered no technical explanation, but after looking at
> the languages and command structure, I can only surmise that it has
> something to do with either the Debian nature, or the difference in
> binary.  I do know that it caused a mess on my PC, and it was only 5-6
> months old!  I'm still looking for a explanation!

I think that in order to explain it, we will have to write a number of
books for you to read.  Happily, there already are a few.  If you really
want to know a lot more about what is actually occurring inside of your
computer, then I suggest that you start by opening the Synaptic package
manager (System --> Administration --> Synaptic Package Manager).
Enable the Universe repository from the Settings --> Repositories
dialog, and then click Search and have it find 'drscheme'.  Select it
form installation, allowing it to also install the dependencies.

Once you have it, close Synaptic, then start FireFox and visit:

 http://www.htdp.org/

... make a bookmark, and begin reading.  If you give it an hour or two
every day, you'll understand enough by the end of the book to be very
well prepared for the _next_ step.

You can create a panel launcher for DrScheme by right clicking on the
panel, selecting +Add to panel, then picking Custom Application
Launcher.  The name is "DrScheme", and the command is "drscheme".  For
an icon, click the icon box, then browse to /usr/lib/plt/collects/icons/
and pick one you like.  (I use mred.gif).

Another really good source of computer knowledge is Wikipedia and How
Stuff Works:

 http://en.wikipedia.org/

 http://www.howstuffworks.com/

There is no substitute for working through the material in HTDP.  The
case the authors make in the preface with regards to why programming
should be taught to liberal arts students as well as to computer science
students is very well stated and quite convincing.  Read it and see what
I mean.

--
Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom at pdx.edu>