sudo blocks aliases

William Grant tanarrifujitsu at optusnet.com.au
Fri Dec 30 04:14:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 18:54 -0800, James Diehl wrote:
> In the synaptic pkg mgr..  It lists the items that are installed, if
> you click status.  The shell that Ubuntu normally uses is small, like
> 0.50.11 or something like that.  They also list a Bourne Again, Korn
> and Dash, Bash, something like that too.  The Bourne Again is like
> 3.05, the Korn is 5. something, and the other is like  6-7.  In the
> description tab, it says that the Bash is what most users prefer to
> use, but the Bourne Again is from Berkely I think, and is a kind of
> happy medium.  Ubuntu says the small one that they use is less prone
> for breakage when loading a new kernel, patching, or updating.  It
> doesn't give you much room for expansion though!

Listen, the default Ubuntu shell is the Bourne Again SHell. Put the
capitals together and you get... BASH. They are the same thing! The
default shell for the vast majority of distributions has for some time
been good old bash.

Ubuntu says no such thing. Bash gives you a lot of room for expansion!
Why else would a large proportion of the planet's Unix users use it!?

William.