sudo blocks aliases

James Diehl jms_diehl at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 30 02:54:28 UTC 2005

In the synaptic pkg mgr..  It lists the items that are installed, if you click status.  The shell that Ubuntu normally uses is small, like 0.50.11 or something like that.  They also list a Bourne Again, Korn and Dash, Bash, something like that too.  The Bourne Again is like 3.05, the Korn is 5. something, and the other is like  6-7.  In the description tab, it says that the Bash is what most users prefer to use, but the Bourne Again is from Berkely I think, and is a kind of happy medium.  Ubuntu says the small one that they use is less prone for breakage when loading a new kernel, patching, or updating.  It doesn't give you much room for expansion though!

Vram <lamsokvr at xprt.net> wrote: On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 18:11 -0800, James Diehl wrote:
> The Ubuntu shell is a small shell that works with Debian, not bash or
> korn.
> If you want to use the bash codes, you will have to change your shell
> to the Bourne Again shell (3.05 I believe), that uses the best
> attributes of bash and Korn, or install the larger bash or korn
> kernels.  I have tried several bash codes in terminal with the smaller
> Debian, and it didn't even recognize the codes I entering.
> Diehl, James

I don't see a shell called Ubuntu

Where is it???

Vram