Things I already hate about Kubuntu (new user)

Anders Karlsson trudheim at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 10:37:45 UTC 2005

On 12/22/05, Eamonn Sullivan <eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

> I'm *so* sick of this conversation, but I keep seeing statements like
> this, so I must be missing something. I want to understand the other
> side, so can someone with more expertise please enlighten me on the
> difference between:
>
> sudo -i
>
> and
>
> su
>
> As far as I know, the end result is *exactly* the same. You *are*
> root, in a root's environment, etc. Can someone tell me what is *so*
> inconvenient about this, other than five more characters to type? Is
> there any difference between the two?
>
> Thoroughly baffled,

You know Eamonn, I have to agree with you. It is a baffling and
shocking experience when you encounter a thoroughly closed and set in
stone mind the first few times. You try reasoning, you try coaxing,
you try reasoning again, when that doesn't work you try sarcasm and
irony (mainly through running out of options of nem angles) and then
you simply ignore the closed-mind-dude as yet another
crank/hoax/firestarter.

sudo and su does have subtle differences, but both are excellent
tools, and kudos to Ubuntu for the approach they have taken with no
root login by default and sudo. It stunned me at first, and sudo was
the third thing I tried (after trying root login from console,
followed by "su -" from my own login). Once I got root, I set a
password and then just carried on as I would have on any other distro.

There has been an upsurge in crank postings on this list in the last
week, and if I pull on the tin-foil hat for a second, it almost smells
like a half-arsed co-ordinated slander attack against Ubuntu, what
with the complaints about mta's, the use of sudo and
non-100%s-package-compatibility with Debian.

Ubuntu *must* be doing something right if there are people getting
desperate enough to resort to such tactics. Robbie sang recently
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they hate you,
then they fight you, then you win..." - I guess Ubuntu is a bit over
halfway there... :-)

Merry Xmas all,

--
Anders Karlsson <trudheim at gmail.com>