Things I already hate about Kubuntu (new user)

Cybe R. Wizard cyber_wizard at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 22 14:55:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 11:37:45 +0100
Anders Karlsson <trudheim at gmail.com> wrote:

> There has been an upsurge in crank postings on this list in the last
> week, and if I pull on the tin-foil hat for a second, it almost smells
> like a half-arsed co-ordinated slander attack against Ubuntu, what
> with the complaints about mta's, the use of sudo and
> non-100%s-package-compatibility with Debian.

I think it's more a matter of perception and/among new users.  As you
know, other distros /do/ use a root account, not sudo, so sudo is new
and different for those coming from another Linux.  Same/same for the
lack of an MTA. (which, BTW, is only supposed to send mail within your
own box, not out to another email account).

Now, the 100% compatibility thing /does/ look like trolling to me, too,
but may be just confusion.

All in all the 'problems' of the past week are pretty tame compared to
some other lists I have used in the past.  KUDOS to the humanity of
this Ubuntu community!  But we could still do with a little explanation
from those In The Know about the MTA thing, I think.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Registered Linux user # 126326