Things I already hate about Kubuntu (new user)

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Tue Dec 20 21:53:46 UTC 2005

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 15:39 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

> > Maybe that's true technically, but I consider any distro that omits an
> > OFM* from a default, or even more particularly, minimal, CD install,
> > to be unnecessarily crippled.

> IMHO that's ridiculous. mc is in universe, so what? If people would get
> it in their heads that a single CD install with a high-quality package
> set makes it impossible to have a package for every single fringe case
> in the default, we'd have 50% less traffic on the list ;)

It's only fringe in the sense that the best of sysadmins are its main
users and proponents. It's one of the reasons they are the best. If you
want to alienate such people from your distro, this is an excellent way
to do it.

I'm not familiar with all distros, but I do know that when I do a
default install of Fedora, Mandriva, SuSE or Xandros, mc is ready when I
am to finish what the installer failed to finish, system configuration,
and proceed with system administration, and without wasting time pulling
off an internet connection that may not be available just to get where
you should have been to start with.

> If you have good reasons, file a wishlist bug in bugzilla and
> demonstrate why it would be a good idea to kick some other package to
> include an OFM.

OFMs are about complete administration in one very convenient, very
efficient, very compact utility. Distro admins who don't have the wisdom
to include an OFM don't deserve success for their distro. Knowledgeable
sysadmins will continue to stick with distros that understand this. I
don't need to file a bug, because I'm content to stick with the others.
If you want a distro worth switching to, you file a bug.

> I can only imagine it might be handy in case of system repair, but live
> CDs have taken care of that for a very long time for me.

The live CD I use is Knoppix. Knoppix includes mc.
--
Jesus Christ is the reason for the season.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/