ubuntu on homebuilt box

Todd Slater dontodd at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 23:40:40 UTC 2005

On 12/19/05, taeb <taeb at netins.net> wrote:
> For various reasons I'm planning to build an Intel-based box on which I
> plan to run only Linux.  My background is Macintosh, so the PC stuff is
> all pretty new to me, and I have (at least) two questions I'd like to
> get answered before I put in the order.
>
> 1. Can I run only Linux, or am I going to have to have a copy of Windows
> in order to do some things -- such as update the BIOS?  I read on a
> message board that sometimes the BIOS updates can only be done -- or the
> files only created -- using Windows.  I don't know much about BIOS and
> even less about updating it.  So, can I run a pure Linux system, or do I
> need/want to have a copy of Windows?  I have no religious aversion to
> Windows, but I really don't want to deal with yet another OS, the
> updates, the virus problems, the expense, etc.  I'd like to concentrate
> my efforts and budget toward Linux only and fall back on the Mac if I
> need commercial software.
>
> 2. The optical drive recommended and that sounded good to me is the
> Plextor PX-716SA.  Elsewhere, someone said that Xandros did not
> recognize his SATA optical drive -- also a PX-716.  Is anyone using this
> drive under Ubuntu?  Or -- in case no one is -- what optical drive do
> you use that you would recommend and which, of course, works flawlessly
> with Ubuntu?
>
> I'm a first-time builder, and I'd like to minimize problems other than
> myself in this process.
>
> Many thanks for your help.  And for any other suggestions that you might
> be inclined to offer.  :)
>
> tonyB

I just built a new box. I don't think you need Windows; whenever I've
updated BIOS it has not been dependent on using Windows.

I'm using a Lite-on cd/dvd burner (e/ide) and a SATA and an IDE hard
drive. No problems to report, everything is just working.

BTW, mine is a lower-end AMD Sempron (64-bit), not Intel.

This is not a week old yet, so the above is, as they say, subject to change ;).

HTH,

Todd