ubuntu on homebuilt box

taeb taeb at netins.net
Wed Dec 21 21:52:08 UTC 2005

Sorry for the slow follow-up.

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 06:40:40PM -0500, Todd Slater wrote:

> I just built a new box. I don't think you need Windows; whenever I've
> updated BIOS it has not been dependent on using Windows.
>
> I'm using a Lite-on cd/dvd burner (e/ide) and a SATA and an IDE hard
> drive. No problems to report, everything is just working.

Did you install ubuntu onto your sata drive or your ide drive?  If it
was onto the sata drive, did you have to do anything special?  Someone
else who was kind enough to respond to this thread -- sorry, don't have
his name at hand -- suggested staying with ide and steering clear of
sata.  I'd really like to use the sata drives in part because of the
small cables versus the ribbon cables for air flow.  More importantly,
though, I'd like not to buy hardware that won't work.  :)  I guess I'll
hold off ordering until I can find out whether Ubuntu works with serial
drives.  Obviously M$ and Apple have figured out how to use them. :)

> BTW, mine is a lower-end AMD Sempron (64-bit), not Intel.

I decided to go with Intel.  Thought it might be safer for a first go.

> This is not a week old yet, so the above is, as they say, subject to change ;).

Keep us advised. :)  I am reassured to know, however, that somebody is
successfully running Ubuntu on a hmoebuilt box.

Thanks for your reply.

tonyB