Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows (or MacOS) on Your Box?

Emmanuele Salvati emmanuele.salvati at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 17:59:04 UTC 2005

2005/12/1, Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar at gmail.com>:

> Ugh. Blasphemy!

But, if you're wanting to replace OS X anyway, Skype is unlikely to
> show up for linux/ppc. Perhaps MOL could offer you a solution in that
> case (provided MOL supports audio in/out... don't remember if it
> does). If MOL doesn't support the in-built microphone & head phone
> jack, and, if MOL allows you to use USB devices, then you could use
> USB audio-in/out devices to do your Skyping.

yes, it is a possibility, but i never find the time to do such thing.

Also, I wouldn't hold your breath on Airport Extreme. A group of
> Gentooers has apparently got AE working, but only through the magic of
> MOL.

well... it looks like some people are using MOL to reverse-engineering and
are writing a linux driver for that.

Finally, AFS doesn't work? (Apple File Sharing?) I no longer use AFS,

sorry, i meant Andrew File System.

ciao,
           emmanuele

but, it works quite well under Linux! You do have to make sure that
> you're running the right version of the networking daemon but it
> should work nicely.
>
> I'm sure there are people here who could help you get AFS up and
> running, and, failing that, you could check out the "How To"s at
> yellowdoglinux.
>
> Eric.
>
> On 12/1/05, Emmanuele Salvati <emmanuele.salvati at gmail.com> wrote:
> > hi,
> >  i would love to replace macosx with ubuntu on my laptop, but i can't,
> for 3
> > reasons:
> >  --no linux driver for airport express (yet)
> >  --no skype for linux/ppc (or equivalent to skype)
> >  --no afs working on linuxppc
> >
> >  otherwise... i would just use ubuntu.
> >
> >  ciao
> >
> > 2005/12/1, James Tappin <sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk>:
> > > Very indirectly: Win 95 was completely replaced with RH4.2 on an
> earlier
> > > incarnation, then RH by various versions of SuSE, then Debian Woody &
> > > Sid before Ubuntu.
> > >
> > > On my laptop I've still got OSX, but hardly every use it (I would need
> > > it to reconfigure my Airport Base Station, but not for much else).
> > >
> > > James

un abbraccio,
            emmanuele