Breezy, beagle and Evolution

Jim Richardson warlock at eskimo.com
Sun Aug 28 08:41:23 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 11:07 +1000, Russell Cook wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 17:48 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 10:32 +1000, Russell Cook wrote:
> > > Hi Jim,
> > > I'm not sure about later alpha's but it was my understanding it
> > only
> > > supported Thunderbird at this stage.  That said, filters in
> > Evolution
> > > are quote good.
> > >

> > I must admit that the resources used by Evolution are making me
> > consider
> > another mailapp. Eepecially as I don't seem to be using the rest of
> > Evo
> > other than Mail. It's not a bad app really, it's just... big.
> True it is a bit chunky, but there's not that much in the resident
> set.

Not much? 37MB right now, 172MB Virt,and 18MB Shared. 37MB exceeds my
limits of "not that much" :)

> I also don't use the calendar often but it's nice that it's
> integrated. The other thing like about evolution over thunderbird (and
> I do prefer a gui mailer so have ignored the text ones :-), is it
> seems much more responsive in its user interface. This is especially
> true on my fathers 900MHz Duron machine.

I don't have a lot of complaints in that area, it doesn't stand out as
sluggis or anything, and this machine has a rather slow IDE system, so I
notice it when swap gets involved. Fortunately, it also has 512MB of
RAM, which is nice, unfortunately, it's maxed out....

> But that's one of the nice things about standards, and OSS we have
> some choice without it costing an arm and a leg.

yep. I'll probably stick with Evo, and hope that it will slim down some,
and that Beagle will index/search it at some time. Not sure if I want to
go to the effort of moving to Tbird, at least until sunbird is usable
for me.

Reality continues to ruin my life. -- Calvin