How to enable ext3 extended attributes for removable disks (for Beagle)?

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Fri Aug 26 00:30:11 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 01:30 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Beagle in Breezy. In want it to index my external USB
> hard disk, which is formatted with ext3. The Beagle wiki recommends to
> enable extended attributes for indexing. While this is easy for my
> interal HD by just adding user_xattr to /etc/fstab, I can't figure out
> how to make gnome-volume-manager use this option.
>
> When I plug the HD in, it gets mounted as
>
> /dev/sdb1 on /media/HD300 type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
>
> Removable disks are not listed as fixed disks in /etc/fstab, at least I
> have only this in fstab (but the actual mounted device is sdb1, see
> above)
>
> /dev/sda1  /media/usb0  auto  rw,user,noauto  0  0
> /dev/sdb   /media/usb1  auto  rw,user,noauto  0  0
>
> And neither a pmount config file, nor the gui or gconf for
> gnome-volume-manager let me set to use user_xattr.
>
> Thanks for advice,
> Mario

For "ext2" and "ext3", unmount the specified file-system first, then do:
        sudo tune2fs -o user_xattr /dev/????
(Change "/dev/????" to the partition you want to change, of course.)

The above command will set the *default* mount option to include
"user_xattr" unless overridden by the actual "mount" command (or the
options in "/etc/fstab").  See the manual page for "tune2fs" for more
explanations and options.

Ziyad.